Saturday, October 18, 2008

A New (& Healthy) Obsession

Like I mentioned about 2 posts down, I've made this pact with myself about purchasing some new books every paycheck, which is about every 2.5 weeks. I'm not sure exactly what's come over me, but I've welcomed this idea a lot more than any other "bright idea" I've had. I've picked up 5 new books since, and I get excited even more each time I step into a bookstore to see what catches my eye next. Call me a nerd, whatever, I don't mind.



Did something just magically click in my head all of a sudden? To be honest I'm not really sure. I've always liked to "read for fun" every now and then, it's just that I guess I haven't had much extra time with the cycle of school and work and going out and family time and however else I've spent/wasted my time that has shaped my college life.

I think almost being done with college is part of this transformation. It's like, despite all that I've learned these past 4 years, going back to high school even, sometimes I just feel like "That's it? Isn't there more to just...learn?" There's so much stuff out there that I feel like I need a better understanding of - how different religions view the world, gender issues, issues of our generation, politics in general, issues that will affect the future, mistakes of the past, etymology, various philosophies, personal stories of people around the globe or even if it's just reading literary classics. I just feel like I need more of something, anything to fulfill this unexplainable void in my head.

"A good book has no ending". ~R.D. Cumming

2 comments:

...RAWfiki said...

you know what, i think i might start reading as well

e[dot] said...

everybody's growin up in some sort of way.