Monday, August 31, 2009

"But he's a nice guy!"

Now don't get me wrong, I love me some nice guys. There's nothing wrong with being a nice guy. They make great friends (I know, something nice guys hate hearing. But it's true!). And if I was single, I would probably take the nice guy next door any day over the quintessential bad boy - that is, if I had to choose and had no option of the perfect mix between the two, cuz y'all know me & my thing with balance.


Although some bad boys make it hard for a girl to choose...


However, I CAN'T stand it when dudes pull the "nice guy" card as if it cancels out other shortcomings, or even worse, when other people do it for that person. Being a nice guy does not automatically exempt you from other douche tendencies. There are many everyday examples of this curious dichotomy of likable & loser.

See:
_The holier-than-thou guy whose preachiness is off the charts. You never feel like you're having a conversation "with" him because it always seems like he's talking "at" you about some shiet he thinks you could learn from. But he's a nice guy!
_The dude whose "Do-I-Sound-Like-An-Asshole-Right-Now?" awareness meter seems to be broken 24/7. One too many snarky comments here and there. But I'm sure he never means it, because he's a nice guy!
_Not the ego-inflated jerk, but rather the one whose self-deprecation is just too much to deal with. We all do it, but you know the guy that never stops? But he's a nice guy!
_The bigot. Self-explanatory. But he's a nice guy??

Take home message of the day: I still have love for nice guys! Just remember that it isn't some disguise or excuse to engage in some dickish behaviors.

Now go forth, and sin no more.

4 comments:

...RAWfiki said...

oh man i sure hope in NOT one of THOSE "nice guys". or am i EVEN a nice guy...what do you think miss? hahah

e[dot] said...

interesting take from a woman's perspective. love it.

Just Ray said...

raf your a nice guy..nice like farting underwater is kind of nice. And i like the do i sound like and asshole right now guy. I don't think i sound like and ass i just am one.

plus i think their is a huge difference between nice guys and good guys.

Kristine said...

Raf: Um you're not one of "those guys" period. Trust me, if I made a post directed towards you, you would know >;)

E-win: Like you said, I might have to go into more detail next time. I guess why not.

Ray: Def agree about the nice vs. good guys thing. Haha and for the 2nd one, I was thinking of some people I know that say THE most offensive/degrading things without even realizing it, but they do it with a smile of course.