Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Starting with a bang

Winter quarter has finally started to kick in today. Buying books online (half.com is the way to go), planning the weekly schedule for the quarter, trying to find classes & the like make up a now all-too familiar quarterly kick-start, an attempt to get my ass back into school mode. However, I feel like the beginning of this quarter sneaked in a little too fast because this past weekend was just straight up FUN.

After I found out I had the day off last Friday, 198 & crew immediately concocted plans to take over the world (aka L.A./Hollywood for the day) - and when those plans fell through, we resorted to Roscoe's in Long Beach instead. Not a bad choice I must say. In fact, I never fathomed fried chicken & waffles to be so delectable - together. If I had any doubts at first, I was sold after a couple bites. The strip club-like pink lights and overly friendly manager - Mel & I are both "baby" according to him haha - also help add character to this beloved soul food joint.


The 'Scoes #1

The rest of Friday alternated between mock cocktail-making trials (what a tongue twister), Rock Band, taste testing, and Cranium. But the real highlight of the weekend was the 198 Cocktail Party on Saturday. To make this quick, thanks to everyone who came, I hope you guys had fun. Well by the looks of my pictures, I'm pretty sure about that haha. Also thank you to my fellow 198 peeps for helping set up, pitching in for the supplies, and my cool new LT jersey and H&M card! In the end, wanting to do something a little different from the usual resulted in pretty much a full bar at 198, good times with friends, and damn funny pictures of everyone. I posted all of the pictures on my Myspace but you can get better quality ones from my Multiply site.

Bringing sexy back.

On a totally different note, will someone please refer me to some new good music to listen to? I have most of the "popular" songs that are out right now on my iTunes, but I always end up resorting to my dependable playlists of oldies and classics (think Queen, Earth Wind & Fire, and other stuff that I will never get sick of). Maybe it's just me but the music scene right now is just not cutting it. Take R&B for example. The days when Boyz II Men & Babyface would serenade their way into every girl's heart are long gone. While the whole debate about whether hip-hop is dead remains in the forefront, R&B has withered away in the background. And who will be its saviour? Chris Brown? I like him, but I don't know about that. Ne-Yo? Good start, but still a little early to tell though. Usher? I've been long awaiting his comeback but after hearing this horrendous new track I've opted to save myself from disappointment and keep my expectations low. Really low. Like boots with the fur low.

Anyone else hear rubber duckies being raped?

And I will personally punch anyone in the face who has dubbed T-Pain the new king of R&B. Hooks, yes. R&B? Blasphemy.

No comments: