Friday, June 4, 2010

Come as you are...on the DL?



I shared this video on Facebook a few days ago, but I didn't really get a chance to put my 2 cents in. After watching the ad, I'm sorta hoping that this is only the first of a series because it just fell flat in my opinion. So is he going to tell his dad? How will his dad respond? Is he going to bring his boyfriend next time? Which one is he in the picture? As is, I feel like this commercial doesn't have much of a point. I like that it's putting the issue out there & that it's realistic, but I'm not feeling the execution because it doesn't come off as supportive as I had hoped.

I wouldn't put it past McDonald's execs to have been all "hey let's make an ad that'll appeal to the gay market because that's what people do nowadays and everyone will commend us". It reminds me of Urban Outfitters initially pulling their "I Support Same Sex Marriage" tees off their racks & online store, citing it got "too much bad press". All while carrying tons of pro-Obama merchandise too. But what about stuff like -



It must've caught everyone by surprise to find out their favorite retailer that catered to liberals/hipsters/the pseudo-bohemian lifestyle was actually run by a Conservative who has backed anti-gay legislation by supporting guys like Rick Santorum (this Santorum fellow is also notorious for his views on Intelligent Design...don't even get me started).

Does the company's public image of being open and understanding really reflect its core? I'm not 100%. Prove me wrong, Mickey D's.

No comments: